Sunday, February 8, 2009

Derby Contenders

The Risen Star (G3) from the Fair Grounds was won by Friesan Fire. Impressive back to back victories for this colt by A.P. Indy. Personally, I think the entire group that ran on Saturday is a little slow to compete for the Kentucky Derby, but after Pyro in 2008, these prep races leave a sour taste in my mouth. I was a big backer of Pyro going intolast year's Derby and he really disappointed from April onward.

I am looking for Pyro to come back strong in 2009 because I think he was used up in the first third of 2008. He has had a lengthy layoff and I am looking forward to him coming back with a bang this Spring.

Pioneerof the Nile also won the Robert B. Lewis (G3) this weekend and did it in impressive fashion after experiencing some trouble on the turn. Had to check back and closed five wide with a lot of momentum to catch longshot Papa Clem. I wasn't very impressed with this field either and am looking towards the next two weeks to see if anyone else stands out.

Whirlaway winner Haynesfield was themost impressive three year old of the weekend. He won by at least four lengths in an easy victory at the Aqueduct on Saturday afternoon. He went off as the 2-5 favorite in a very soft field, but could have won by as many lengths as he wanted to.

Moving on to next weekend for a couple of mediocre Derby Trail races with the Sam F. Davis from Tampa Bay Downs and the El Camino Real from Golden Gate. Both are unlikely to produce any real Derby hopefuls, but you never know in a year like this. With little standing out this season, a big longshot is looming.

2 comments:

  1. The Sam F Davis is always an important prep for either the Tampa Bay Derby or the Florida Derby. The fact that it is now a graded event not only speaks to this importance, but in and of itself raises the importance. To say that it is unlikely to produce "any real Derby hopefuls" is uneducated.

    Also Firesan Fire is BY A.P. Indy; not "out of".. that would be spectaular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say that it wouldn't produce any Derby contenders. I said that it is unlikely which is not uneducated based on recent history of the race.

    I would consider it a stepping stone to those two races you mentioned, but from what horses I have heard are entering I don't see anything spectacular.

    My mistake, you are correct, by A.P. Indy

    ReplyDelete